CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 2, 2008

What I Love About Europe...

I've made a list of the some of the things I love about Europe. This is, by no means, a complete list, nor is it in any particular order. So, in case you needed some reasons to come to Europe, here are just a few.

1. Walking. People walk everywhere! I love going outside and walking. Not only do we have a nice forested area nearby in which to walk, but we walk pretty much everywhere. It is not uncommon to see people of all ages walking places. Yes, there are plenty of cars as well, but when gas is between $8 and $10 a gallon, you probably don't feel as inclined to drive. Also, the cars are generally small. If people aren't walking, they're riding a bike. I've never seen so many people riding bikes as I have here in Germany. (It wasn't like that in Spain). Our landlady thought it was strange that we're not avid bike-riders.

2. Public Transportation. I wish we had this in the States. Yes, we have public transportation, but it's not nearly as good as it is in Europe. If we're not walking, we're taking the bus or the "underground" as they like to call it here. I keep calling it the metro, because that's what it is in Spain. However, it's technically the bahn--either the U-bahn or the S-bahn--and yes, you have to be specific.

3. Bakeries. I could eat breakfast at the bakery every day! Mmmm! Just the smell wafting from the bakery makes my mouth water. It doesn't matter whether you're in Germany, Spain, or France, the pastries and other things you buy at the bakery are so much better than anything we have in the States. So, one has to walk to work off all the extra weight one gains from the bakeries.

4. Candy. Again, the candy in Europe is so much better than the States. I used to be a big candy fiend growing up, but it's worn off quite a bit over the years. Fortunately, I'm living in Germany and I like the "chuches" in Spain better than what they have here, so I won't eat quite as much.

5. Chocolate. Need I say more? Stewart will argue that German chocolate is the best in the world. He loves the Milkas, which you can buy in the States, but the selection here is much better. I, personally, like the Ritter Sports. Yes, you can buy those in the States also, but again, the selection is better here. Unfortunately for me, I am unable to find my favorite Ritter Sport (Butter Biscuit) in any of the stores here. I have looked and looked. I found it in the mini bars that come in packs, but that's it. Oddly, that's one you can find in the States. Also, they are not cheaper here than in the States. They cost just as much.

6. Ham. Whether it's jamón serrano, jamón ibérico, jambon cru, Schwarzwälder Schinken, or some other name, this kind of ham is the best! It is definitely my favorite lunch meat! The only think I can compare it to is prosciutto. That's about as close as you can get to it in the States (unless I'm mistaken).

Well, those are the 6 that first came to mind. Although, the federdecke (is that spelled correctly?) is quickly making its way to the list. As the weather gets colder, those feather blankets are nice and cozy...even if it is ridiculously small.

Incidentally, starting Monday, I will have the opportunity to see how my ESL students felt. I begin my German classes and I suspect they will be taught in German. Let the frustration begin...bring it on!

4 comments:

Young Family said...

Jamon Serano is disgusting, chuches are good, chocolate is even better. Have you bought any Kinder eggs?

Good luck with learning German.

Michelle said...

Unfortunately, I have not purchased any Kinder eggs yet. I had a great little Kinder toy village from all my fun Kinder eggs in Spain, but I gave them to my niece. I don't think she appreciated them as much as me, so I'm thinking of starting up the collection again.

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited to come and enjoy all of that with you! i am especially pumped for the bread and bakeries - that's one thing my mom is always talking about. mmm.... :D

Anonymous said...

Ritter Sport and cantaloupe ice cream (Melones Eis) are the best there!

Viel Glück ab morgen bei den Deutschen Klassen! :)