Well, German classes began on Monday. I went there with a little trepidation, but I have to say that I love it! I walked into the class when only 3 people were there and I sat down next to one of them. What are the chances that I would happen to sit by the only other person from the U.S.? There are 15 students in the class: 2 from the U.S., 1 from Italy, 2 from Japan, 3 from Spain, 3 from Poland, 1 from Venezuela, 1 from Tanzania, 1 from Tonga, and 1 from Bosnia. Most of us are between the ages of 23 and 38. However, there is a 15-year-old girl from Poland. Almost everybody speaks English, but the class is, of course, conducted entirely in German.
We have only learned basic questions and answers thus far, but it's been fun. The first day I felt like I was right on line with most of the people in the class. However, there are a few people who are a bit more advanced. Yesterday I felt like the class was moving a bit too slow for me. There are a couple of students in the class who really struggle with pronunciation and remembering what we've learned. Stewart told me I need to be patient (which has always been a virtue with which I've struggled) because I have learned another language and I've taught both ESL and Spanish, so I have a better idea of what kinds of strategies to use in learning a language. That may be true, and I don't want to begrudge these people the opportunity to learn German, but I also want to get my money's worth.
So, for those of you who may speak or understand German, here I am to dazzle you with the pitiful (yet exciting) things I've learned:
Ich heiße Michelle. -or- Ich bin Michelle. -or- Mein Name ist Michelle.
Ich komme aus den USA, aus Utah oder New York (take your pick).
Ich wohne in Berlin (for now).
Ich bin dreißig Jahre alt.
Ich lerne Deutsch.
Ich spreche Englisch und Spanisch.
Mauro spricht Italienisch. Rebecca und Lola sprechen Englisch. Yuko und Nana sprechen Japanisch. Dominika, Marzena und Karolina sprechen Polnisch. Vanessa, Pablo, David y Carlota sprechen Spanisch. Jasmina spricht Bosnisch. Reziky spricht Kisuaheli.
Wie heißen Sie? -or- Wie ist Ihr Name?
Woher kommen Sie?
Wo wohnen Sie?
Wie alt sind Sie?
Was machen Sie hier?
Was sprechen Sie?
I also know other random bits of vocabulary and verbs, but I won't bore you any further. Unfortunately, I don't yet know the possessive for "du", so I can't write the questions informally. However, please do feel free to answer my questions above. :)
My Five-Word Purpose Statement
12 years ago
1 comments:
Wow, I'm impressed. The only German phrases I learned over there that actually stuck with me were "Ich bin müde" and "schmusen Kissen" (however you spell the words). Totally useless. Seriously - one time I tried to say thank you and totally told the person I was tired instead.
Post a Comment