CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 26, 2010

Julie & Julia

A few weeks ago, I watched the movie "Julie and Julia." To be quite honest, I had very little desire to see it when the previews came out. It didn't look that exciting to me. However, when I babysat for a friend of mine, I saw that she had it on her shelf. I'm always interested in seeing movies I haven't seen before, so I thought I'd ask if I could borrow it. I wouldn't say that it was my favorite movie, but it was good.

What I enjoyed most were all the recipes. I've become obsessed with finding recipes that I can use once we get back to the States. I'd love to use them here, but you just can't find the same things here...and sometimes those things are more expensive. I've had a very difficult time finding cheap and exciting ways to cook in Germany. Every time Stewart and I discuss the menu, we come back to the same foods. It's rather frustrating. I'm not sure I can eat lentils again for a while. I've even joined a group on Facebook (run by a friend from my childhood ward) that shares recipes of dinners they've tried. I enjoy it quite a bit; I just wish I could contribute.

Anyway, back to "Julie and Julia." Besides the delicious food, I'm kind of fascinated by the idea that someone would write a blog about it, and people from who-knows-where would actually read it! I feel like the people I know don't even read my blog...not that I keep up with it regularly. Maybe that's why they don't read it. Of course, then you wonder if it's even worthwhile to write a blog if nobody's reading it. I started this blog with the idea that we could keep our families informed while we spent time in Germany. Unfortunately, because I'm so horrible at writing anything here (and Stewart doesn't really have time), I think they've stopped reading. In fact, I'm not sure there's one family member that reads this anymore. *shrug* So, my hat goes off to Julie for writing such a successful blog.

6 comments:

Shanny said...

Thanks to the joy of google reader, I still read your blog!

And it's funny you should mention Julie & Julia, I just watched that movie a couple of days ago. I thought it was good. But really, I just liked learning about Julia Child.

Have you ever checked out 5dollardinners.com? She's got a new recipe just about every day. And they are all $5 or under.

Clark said...

I watched a few clips with Shannon, and I'll tell you what I told her: I'd love to watch a movie about Julia Child. I don't care about this Julie lady. Indeed, the clips of the Julia parts were very enjoyable.

ZiggyandFamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ZiggyandFamily said...

I too enjoyed the movie mostly learning more about Julia Child. Yes fascinating that anyone would just read random blogs....... I'm not good at keeping mine up either, so my daughter, who practically started it for me, gently "reminds" me occasionally that it needs more "news". :)
Thank you Elaine!!

tempppo said...

I have to echo the other comments, with one change -- I liked the "Julia Child" character, not because I had any interest in her before I watched the movie, but because Meryl Streep was just so convincing that I frequently forgot that it was Meryl Streep. That's hard to do with such a famous actor, in my humble opinion. So my hat goes off to her. I wish she would have won the best actress award -- but of course I haven't seen the Bullock film, so . . .

yankeesgal said...

I rarely comment, but just wanted to give you a shout out that I do read (and enjoy) your blog. :)