Yesterday, we went to Emily & Will Haurand's house to make gingerbread houses. I can't remember the last time I made one. It's been a while. So, I thought I would document the occasion. I tried to take pictures of the process. Disclaimer: I couldn't possibly get every stage of the process as I needed both hands to help Stewart put the whole thing together.

Stewart with Geneil & Josh Johnson...those are the sheets of gingerbread that Emily made. And, yes, they were nice enough to get us some delicious Egg Nog from the PX. Mmmm!

Don't those trays of gingerbread look yummy? Well, they were! We tasted some before we started making the houses. :) Oh, and those are just some of the yummy candies we had to decorate them.

Look at that! We went from a tray of gingerbread (pre-cut by Emily) to four walls! Whoo hoo!

We went a little overboard on the frosting, but it seemed necessary at the time in order to keep the walls up.

The Haurands made a gingerbread manger scene, because she forgot to cut a fourth wall for one of the houses. I thought it was a cute idea. They were just hoping they weren't going to be struck by lightning.

And the Johnsons' house was coming along well too.

Look! We have a roof now!

Josh let Geneil do the hard part while he held the baby.

And the manger scene was coming along, too.

Ta da! Here it is...complete with grass and a potted tree?
The little red peanut M&M in the doorway fell off the wall above the door and straight into the frosting below. We decided he would be the little kid peeking out the door for Santa. The two chocolate slabs on the side of the roof are the solar panels. It's a cost-efficient house.

This side of the house shows you Santa (the green Tiki guy in the back) and the 9 reindeer. Rudolf is, of course, the red one. Blitzen is the white one that's falling off the roof. He landed into the snow pile on the roof head-first. Some of the reindeer had a bit too much egg nog, hence the lack of straight lines.

And here we are with our finished product.

Will & Emily with their finished product.

I think the manger scene was pretty creative. It even has a thatched roof. The wise men have fallen over, but you can just think of them as being prostrate. ;) And they look like they came from the East, with their Hershey Kisses hats. :) The purple one is Balthasar.

Josh & Geneil with their finished product. Josh did most of the decorations.

It's some big battle scene. I'm not sure if there's a story behind it or not. I guess he made a tank one year.

When we brought it home last night, we decided to leave it on the table in the dining room for everyone to appreciate. This is what we found this morning.

I posted a "Please don't eat" sign so that everyone could see it before we destroyed it. This morning, someone changed "essen" to "FRessen," which is the term used when animals are the ones doing the eating.

It's also apparently for sale...as a foreclosure.

This one says "Caution! Cookie Monster sighted!!"

This one was more political. It says "Nazis get out...the end of capitalism...Santa Claus is a $!@ capitalist!...No more Berger!" (Please excuse the profanity, I didn't write it). Apparently this sign is similar to the kind of graffiti you would find at a university.
At any rate, everyone seemed to get a kick out of the gingerbread house. Haha! So, maybe tomorrow we'll demolish it.
1 comments:
That was beautiful. Loved every minute. But -- who knew that gummy people would care about politics?
Post a Comment