I'm about 3 weeks late on posting my Rome pictures, but oh well. I have been traveling around France and Germany, so I haven't really had the opportunity. At any rate, here they are for your viewing pleasure.
Venice link: michelleandstewartanderson.blogspot.com/2009/04/venezia-city-of-bridges.html
Milan link: michelleandstewartanderson.blogspot.com/2009/04/milan-aka-mediolanum.html
Athens link: michelleandstewartanderson.blogspot.com/2009/04/blog-post_08.html
Barcelona link: michelleandstewartanderson.blogspot.com/2009/04/barcelona-ciutat-comtal-city-of-counts.html
I had no idea that this was connected to a church. And yes, we left with our hands intact. :)
This guy was, bar none, my favorite street performer. He was amazing! He looks completely windblown, but there was no wind. He stood like this for hours! Look at how he rigged his hair, tie, jacket, pants... Wow!
We hadn't intended to visit this at night, but we stumbled onto it after getting lost on the way back to our hostel. So I was able to see it at night and in the day! :)
Of course we had to go to the Vatican. What would a trip to Rome be without it?
For as much hype as this thing gets, it's not nearly as impressive as the Basilica di San Marco in Venice, Italy. In fact, I was rather disappointed with it. And we had to stand in a ridiculously long line just to enter the building.
This was the only thing inside that I thought was all that beautiful.
What's a visit to the Vatican if you don't go to see the Sistine Chapel?
This was impressive! It looks 3-D, but it's just a painting. Wow!
They shuttle you through about 50 or 60 different rooms before you reach the Sistine Chapel. In each room, you usually find a beautifully painted ceiling. You can take pictures (no flash of course) in any of these rooms. However, as soon as you enter the Sistine Chapel, you are no longer allowed to take pictures. This is rather ridiculous since you can photograph any of the other rooms, which contain paintings that are just as old (and some older). Needless to say, many people could be seen snapping photos behind the guards' backs. To be quite honest, my favorite painting in the Sistine Chapel was the Garden of Eden painting, not the Creation.
This is Michelangelo on the left and Rafael on the right. Both of these artists painted in the Vatican.
Yes, it's another crooked picture. This church was even more impressive than St. Peter's Basilica.
This particular variety was raspberry and crema...mmm! (And yes, it was windy).
This was my biggest disappointment in Rome. I was so excited to see the twin churches and attempt to get a side-by-side picture in order to produce the illusion that the image was just flipped. Then this is what we saw...ugh! Not to mention the fact that the Rome Marathon happened to be going on that very day, which left no chance of producing my desired picture.
Both Rachel and I were thinking how glad we were that it wasn't us running out there. This is not something I aspire to do. We did, however, get to see the leader in the Piazza del Popolo. Whether or not he won, I don't know.
This is an intersection with a fountain at each corner. Technically, it's associated with the nearby church.
This was my favorite of the four. If you look in the lower right corner, you can see the Capitoline Wolf suckling the infant twins Romulus and Remus (except there's only one of the twins in the fountain). It's actually an interesting story. You should look it up if you're not already familiar with it.
I like the rough exterior on the entrance of this church.
By chance, we happened to be in the right place at the right time. We had the opportunity to see the changing of the guard at Palazzo del Quirinale. It seemed like they called in the entire Guardia di Finanza. It was quite the production! The odd thing was that they had changed the guards maybe 15 mins. before this (with much less pomp and circumstance). *shrug*
This is the one thing I wanted to see more than anything else, and it did not disappoint. Unfortunately, there are so many people packed in there day and night that it's difficult to get a picture of the whole thing without them.
If you look closely, you can see my coin right by the mouth of the horse.
Right before I took this picture, a guy was making the same face and having his picture taken with this statue. I thought it was pretty funny.
As silly as this may seem, this is the sound of one of our roommates in Rome. I can sleep through just about anything (if I'm already asleep), but it's much more difficult to FALL asleep with this kind of noise. The video doesn't do it justice. However, despite the noise, we slept better the last night than the two nights before. That was due to our previous roommates and is a much longer story.
So, that's it for Rome and my European whirlwind trip. I hope you enjoyed the pictures!
3 comments:
Who really snores like that? That's hilarious!
Breathtaking! Looks like you had a great time and got to see a lot!
hahahaha. the video just kills me. just the fact that you went through the trouble of getting your camera out from your stuff to tape it - cracks me up! meanwhile, i was sleeping like a baby. :)
Post a Comment