I know I asked the Utahns to send us some of their snow, but I never expected the freezing cold to come with it. Unfortunately, I just can't have the best of both worlds: snow with summer temperatures. Maybe I'm missing the point somehow?
Happily, I did get the snow for which I asked. Over the weekend it snowed for 3 days in a row. Woo hoo! Just don't plan on driving anywhere in Berlin if the snow sticks and it's too cold for it to melt. Their snow removal system is about as good as it is in Portland, Oregon. However, the public transportation is better, so you can still get around. You can't expect a big metropolis like Berlin to shut down unless it's blizzard conditions.
Walking can also be a bit hazardous. Whoever thought that sand was as good as salt for melting snow was fooling themselves. The sidewalks are very slippery!
Unhappily, the temperature is frigid!!! It's gets so cold at night that the precipitation that collects on the inside of our windows turns to ice. Incredibly, the night before last it was about 5° in the middle of the night, and 1° by 8:00 in the morning. This morning I went to the bakery with Stewart and I felt like I was back in New York. It's the kind of cold that freezes all the mucus in your nose, just by breathing in. Stewart said we've been getting colder temperatures here than we got when we lived in New York. Ugh! I think the cold follows me. (Oh, and it's snowing again today). :)
My Five-Word Purpose Statement
12 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment